Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Have You Used 100% Coir in Covered Sub-Irrigated Planters (SIPs)?

If you've tried using 100% coir as growing medium for SIPs, we're eager to hear about your experience.

A compressed block of
coir: fiber from coconut shells

Both Bruce and I have used some coir, along with a larger quantity of peat and a little perlite, in previous years, but haven't yet tried all-coir as planting mix.

Coir seems to retain more moisture, and in a covered SIP like the ones we use, we're concerned about soggy growing medium.

Covered SIP
Leave info in comments or email us. And thanks...


mrbrownthumb said...

I've used straight coir in containers and last year I used it in a SIP and didn't notice any problems with the sogginess of medium.

FYI: if someone just needs a little they can get it at any big box pet supply store where it is sold (brick-shaped) as reptile bedding. Kind of inexpensive and I've been using it to cut the more expensive potting mixes for my containers. Saves a ton of money.

oldgrowth said...

I hesitate to use 100% in a closed system like sips because of the enhanced water retention. I have recently been using it as an additive around 50% to an existing potting soil. Just my opinion, but because we are NOT wanting a super-saturated medium makes me go with the 50% mix.

Life in Savannah said...


I will be trying the SIP for the first time this year. I have already but a brick of the coir and hope to a combination of 50/50; 30/30/40-hoping between those two combinations by results should pretty good. Plus I have some much dirt that I want to recycle(can you recycle dirt?) I decided on the mixtures.

H2 said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone.