With the help of NeighborSpace, a few of my neighbors and I turned a vacant city lot into a small community garden.
There have been several stops and starts in the lengthy planning process; we finally got our donated topsoil at the end of May. Then the work began: Soil testing, water issues, fertilizer, dodging "free" compost, mulch, and finally, planting.
From a pile of old 2x12 Douglas Fir joists donated from a building renovation project, we marked out the plots and turned them over to our enthusiastic gardeners.
|[Click on any of the images for a larger view]|
|I built a couple A-frame tomato trellises out of a few of the old Douglas Fir joists.|
|The community garden, as seen from my rooftop garden, the first week in June, 2010.|
|We built a short fence around the backside of the garden with some of the Douglas Fir joists and rolls of donated willow screening. In the background you can see my rooftop garden.|
|From the old joists, Art and I are holding pieces, I also made a picnic table and two benches that will go under the tree at the north end of the garden.|
|This is the first of a series of rain barrels that will collect, then distribute, rooftop water for the garden.|
[As usual, all photos, as well as the conversion of the plot plan image from a pdf to a jpg file, done by H2. Thanks!]