Thursday, February 16, 2012

Starting Seeds: Home Depot Offers Organic Martha, Burpee Seeds

Pretending to be looking at paint, I was drawn like a magnet to the seed racks at Home Depot this week. I rarely go there and it's early for spring garden supplies, but there they were, and so alluring.

I wondered if organic seeds could be genetically modified (GM) seeds or if the two were mutually exclusive. According to the back of the pack, Martha's organic seeds come from Ferry Morse.
 
Bruce did a little research into Burpee and found that its seeds are all GMO-free, per the chairman of Burpee who goes out of his way to thank Mr. Brown Thumb for giving him a platform to refute allegations that his company sells GMO seeds.

Bring on these luscious greenies...

8 comments:

Russ C said...

That's a good find. My local Co-Op has a large display of Seed Savers seeds. I have to ask if the particular varieties have been chosen for this climate (MN - zone 4) but either way, it's a nice thing to see. Lots of Co-Ops up here - not a bad thing.

H2 said...

Lots of co-ops? What a gift. After spending some time in Boise, Idaho's co-op last year, I'm still stunned Chicago has nothing that comes even close.

Iris Hasty said...

I found these seeds today and was hoping and praying they were non GMO. Thank you for this blog post.

H2 said...

Happy it was helpful, Iris. It makes good sense to label everything containing GMOs and I hope we get there soon.

Unknown said...

Is there any further reading you would recommend on this?

Amela
northamptonshire garden centre

Astrid said...

Thank you for a great and inspiring blog post. I just want you to know that I enjoyed reading your post. palm springs landscaping

Astrid said...

Very interesting website it is. I saw many different posts here and all are very interesting and informative. https://www.mylandscapingnorfolkva.com/

Joe W said...

We love learning more about growing healthy trees and plants. Thank you for the insights!