Monday, September 19, 2011

Upgraded Fruit Fly Trap

Doors open all summer, fresh produce being chopped all day...we gotcher fruit flies right here. When I started to see larvae in my easy fruit fly trap (at left) I knew it was time for a fresh start.
Debbie told me how to make the sleeker version from a recycled water bottle. Just slice and invert the top, add the elixir (water, cider vinegar, squirt of detergent), and make sure you tape the edge so they can't fly out. 

Next time I'd put a rock in the bottom of the water bottle to provide some ballast.
WeI have a new batch of unfortunates already...

4 comments:

Kristan said...

Does it have to be cider vinegar? I already have a bunch of different vinegars (and don't really want to buy more), but I don't have cider. Strawberry balsamic, blackberry, malt, balsamic, white, red wine.... ? I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

H2 said...

Nah, doesn't have to be cider vinegar. Any vinegar will do. Use the cheap stuff...

Kristan said...

Excellent. I am trying blackberry-raspberry then since I don't like it and have had it too long to think I will ever like it. Thanks again!

John Grehhem said...

Well, it is good idea, but i prefer to make fruit fly trap from banana, it is work great and very well, or better to buy it.