Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lunch From the Garden


Last week I had a lunch meeting with my friend Cassandra. She set a fine table and we ate alfresco on her back porch. A perfect Friday afternoon. I brought a salad of Black Seeded Simpson, Romaine lettuce, Rouge d'Hiver and tender pea shoots. Fresh chunks of feta cheese, pita bread, hummus, and poppy seed dressing accompanied the meal.

Delicious food certainly makes a meeting lots more fun.




I harvested our salad this morning from this bed, one of three rows. These winter sowed lettuces I planted late October 2011 are still being consumed today. Amazing that these plants have been in the ground for 6+ months. This 12' salad bed provided food for our family, friends, and to some who've lost their jobs.

I try and plan ahead... gardening is all about timing. To keep a fresh supply of greens on the table I planted another bed (see below) of chard, bok choi and kale early April. They'll be on the family menu in the next few weeks. After this harvest, I'll plant tomatoes, herbs and warm weather greens in the same bed.




Luckily I planted extra bok choi... the vegetable weevils thought the bok choi was delicious too!

1 comment:

H2 said...

What a beautiful tunnel of greens, Debbie!