Friday, February 17, 2012

Starting Seeds: Onion, Shallot and Leeks


I love growing onions but it can take up to 120+ days for some of them to mature. Plus, I was too busy to plant any last week (which is when the seeds should have been started inside), so I took the easy way out and germinated some in a wet paper towel placed in a small plastic bag.

I figured it would buy me some time...and a few days later I was pleasantly surprised to find they had germinated, and most of them too! Great way also to test your seeds to see if they’re still viable.


Here’s a close-up of some sprouted onion seeds, just 3 days old.



Looking forward to tasting some of these onions, shallots and leeks. I usually plant them in between crops because rabbits aren't fond of their sulfurous smell.

No comments: